Pages

Friday, May 3, 2013

When will I use this, anyway?

I've been saying for weeks that I want to blog again, but I had nothing about which to write. Inspiration has a funny way of showing up, and here's how.

As I am studying for my Global Economics final, I realized that there was SO much about economic history that I was completely clueless about! This greatly saddened me for a few reasons: 1) I am a senior in college, with graduation in my not so distant future. I should be more educated than this; and 2) I am a History Education major! My life, my career, will revolve so much around economic policies of Pinochet, Allende, Reagan, and others, and I hadn't the foggiest as to what those policies where, at least not before this class (major props to you if you're still following me and know what/who I'm talking about).

I'm not writing this to say that I am a terrible college student and future educator. No, I am writing this because I know that writing things down is the most efficient way to remember them, and if you go public with your dreams, you will find that true friends, those that want to see you succeed, will help you along the way. I want to still be this inspired to further my learning after my final, after I am done learning about economics from a professor. I want to still be inspired to seek these things out on my own.

The economy is one if the most debated topics of our generation, and I do not think that is changing any time soon. If I cannot hold a conversation about what is going on economically with our country and others, then I am going to look like the biggest fool to so many of my peers. Also, if I can't effectively and confidently teach my students about the economic history of countries around the world and especially ours, I will have failed as an educator.

Looking back, my only regret thus far is that I did not come to this realization sooner. While I am looking at a solid 'B' in my Econ class for the semester, I could have done so much more and earned that A. I could have spent so much more time applying myself to this course, and I could confidently say that I understood and now know about global economics. Sadly, most class days were spent sitting in class playing Temple Run 2. And while I've gotten pretty good at it, what does that matter? I could have and should have been paying more attention to what was going on in the front of the classroom.

Looking forward, please do not become angry or frustrated with me if I stop you mid-conversation to ask you to explain what you meant, or to tell you that I don't understand. I'm trying to learn. To my future students, don't fret, I will be more prepared than this, as well as incredibly eager, to teach you, and I want to do all I can to help you understand the Four Pillars of Reaganomics, as well as the lasting effect Reagan had on our nation's economy.

And lastly, to you: no matter what season of life you find yourself in, you've got an opportunity to use it to better yourself. Take it, because it may not come around twice.

Best wishes,
Cameron

No comments:

Post a Comment